I am a software developer based in London. I have an MEng in Computer Science from the University of Southampton. My primary interest is in backend applications, automation, and developer tools. I am very interested in tooling related to video production.
January 2019 - Present
The Look — Software Lead (Freelance)
Working freelance at The Look, I have been involved in creating automation scripts for productivity improvements. The scripts I have created have saved many man-hours across a wide range of tasks. I have also been closely involved with other companies in maintaining and testing custom APIs for their software.
- Liaising with different members of the team in order to assess their requirements.
- Creating extensible software and frameworks which are easy to maintain.
- Writing Pythonic API wrappers for custom APIs.
- Dealing with very large datasets and scripted data gathering.
October 2018 - December 2018
BirdSpace - Software Lead (Freelance)
I created the backend scripts and a simple front end for the BirdSpace project by Santipab Somboon. I reverse engineered two public web APIs in order to create an efficient stream and lookup of overhead planes, their emissions, and birds native to an area.
- Analysing and wrapping verbose web APIs.
- Creating a distributed frontend display system that could be run on multiple RaspberryPi devices.
- Designing a simple yet flexible markup system allowing easy custom formatting of the graphical view, for users without extensive programming experience.
June 2017 - July 2018
Citrix Systems - Software Engineer
I worked on XenServer at Citrix on an indistrial placement between my 3rd and 4th years at university. Initially I was heavily involved with low level driver development for the Xen hypervisor and Linux kernel, but I eventually moved to a DevOps team which I greatly enjoyed.
- Understanding interactions between the hypervisor, dom0, and various guest OSes, as well as the Linux kernel, and device drivers.
- Implementing new guest support, including new HVM support for a major guest version.
- Patching up- and down-stream open-source repos for bugs and features. One of
my main tasks was to backport new features to older versions of the software.
- Creating and maintaining a featureful JIRA API in Python for automatic ticket creatiion and milestone tracking.
- Designing and implementing and testing framework for various stages of the build system in order to reduce time waiting for builds to complete if it could be detected that they would fail.
- Designing a modern extensible config based build system to replace the older system which was based on recursive git repos.
February 2016 - May 2016
Software Engineering Group Project - Team Lead
University group project to create a marking program for roadside driver assessments at Heathrow Airport. I organised fornightly sprints and regular scrums to work inside an agile framework. I also presented each development to the module markers and was in charge of the mock pitch at the end of the module.
- Organising a group of mixed ability around complex personal schedules.
- Experiencing various agile techniques and methodologies.
Splat Programming Language - Designer
As part of a university module, I created a functional stream processing language. This coursework cemented my knowledge of functional programming, type checking, evaluation order, and recursion.
- Analysing language grammar for ambiguities.
- Developing my experience of functional programming.
- Solving unfamiliar problems under a strict time limit.
October 2012 - January 2013
National Cipher Challenge
Having placed high in the two previous years, I led a team to victory in the National Cipher Challenge, coming 1st out of over 1000 school teams. It involded solving 8 pairs of increasingly difficult ciphers, culminating with a custom modified trifid. We won £1000, which we donated to the charity Code Club.
- Working to an extremely tight deadline (hours).
- Advanced computational analysis paired with custom tooling to find clues in the cipher text.
- Introduction to computer security.
- MEng Computer Science with Industrial Studies
- University of Southampton (2014-2019) — Awarded 2:1
- Bash / Zsh
- Full driving license
- RYA Level 4 + Competent Crew